The Wagga Wagga Food and Wine Festival was launched on November 9th, 2002. The first festival immediately followed on from the Farmers Market which had been held in the morning. From these humble beginnings, the festival has become a stand-alone annual event which attracts more than 7000 people.
The festival gives local wineries and food and dining outlets an opportunity to showcase their goods. As a stall holder, where else could you go and show off your products and abilities to over 7000 people in one day. As a patron, where else could you go and sample over 100 types of food and 200 wines as well as Yenda Beers and some Cocktails. You will be entertained continuously as well as have distractions for your children whilst you enjoy the atmosphere.
Benefiting the local community
The Riverina BMW Wagga Wagga Food & Wine Festival has always been a fundraising event for Wollundry Rotary. In the past five years, we have chosen a single beneficiary to donate all of the festivals earnings to.
- In previous years the funds were distributed throughout the community via the clubs normal distribution processes.
- In 2009 $25k was donated to the Riverina Cancer Care Centre. In 2010, $30k was handed to the Renal Dialysis Unit at the Wagga Base Hospital.
- In 2011 we were very proud to donate the entire proceeds from the festival to Willan’s Hill School. This was an amount of $40,652.00 which was for the purchase of equipment for the students to assist them in communicating with other people.
- 2012 saw a donation in excess of $42k go to Micah House to assist with building upgrades and the running of the house.
- 2013 again saw in excess of $43k go to Wagga Wagga High School Special Learning.
- In 2014 all of the proceeds from the most successful festival ever will be donated to The Amie StClair Melanoma Trust. The figure of $60k was recently handed over to the trust to assist with further employment of their melanoma nurse.
- 2015 saw Wagga women's Health Centre receiving $40k for a new program in partnership with Kapooka and Wollundry Rotary in reducing domestic violence.
- 2016 we once again raised $40k for the Wagga Rescue Squad to buy a new jaws of life to help with their invaluable service.
- 2017 we were proud to donate $40k to the Riverina Cancer Care Centre.
All recipients have proven worthy of the funds they have received and have put the funds to good use to "Really Make A Difference"
Since the festival has begun well over $300,000.00 has been donated to worthwhile organizations in the Wagga Wagga community.
The Riverina BMW Wagga Wagga Food & Wine Festival is proudly brought to you by The Rotary Club Of Wollundry Wagga Wagga.